Before you upgrade, we recommend that you back up your database locally. You must also be logged into Windows as a user with administrator rights. If you are not, the upgrade may download, but will not fully apply.
Backup Your Database Locally
With Minute Menu HX, you have a local copy of your database from which you operate each day. This is synchronized with a remote copy of your database stored on our Internet servers when you run Transfer Data, but your local database is still what you use each day within the software.
When you update Minute Menu HX, your local database will also be updated, sometimes substantially. For this reason, it's always a good idea to back up your database locally before you download and apply the update. If you have an automated nightly local backup process, then you don't need to do anything manually at this time. If you have a full version of Microsoft SQL Server, you can also utilize it's built-in database backup functions. But if neither is the case, we recommend you backup your database manually on your local file system.
To do so:
- Log out of Minute Menu HX.
- Click your Start menu, Programs, Minute Menu HX, Tools, and select ICS Local Backup & Restore.
- Select Backup Database.
- When prompted, enter a file name and select a location in which to store your backup. We recommend you name your backup with the current date, such as 20190624 for June, 24, 2019. The default location is your hard drive's root directory, but you can change this, if needed.
- When finished, click Save. The system backs up your database. This can take several minutes. When it finishes, a confirmation pop-up displays.
- Click OK and exit the Local Backup & Restore Database tool. Unless something goes wrong with your upgrade, you do not need to do anything with that backup file after it is created.
Upgrading Your Sponsor Software
To obtain the software upgrade for your office, click the Administration menu and select Upgrade Software. The upgrade process starts automatically. If the process does not start or you encounter an issue with the upgrade, we recommend you try again. Should the issue persists, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Upgrading Multiple Networked Computers Using Minute Menu HX
When you upgrade your software, the system upgrades both your local machine and your network's database. To apply the update to other networked machines, close and re-open Minute Menu HX on each of those machines. They will update automatically. We recommend you run software updates when it will least impact what others in your office are doing. For example, you can run the upgrade at close of business.
If, for some reason, the upgrade does not automatically run on your networked machines after upgrading the first machine, click the Administration menu and select Upgrade Software. If that still does not work, apply the upgrade manually (see below).
If for some reason the upgrade does not automatically start when you login on these machines (after you've upgraded the first machine), try to access the menu Administration >> Upgrade Software. If that still does not work, apply the upgrade manually.
Note: In networked environments, it is frequently advantageous to apply Minute Menu software upgrades manually, rather than using the automated process to do it, as you won't have to repeatedly download the relatively large upgrade files.
Applying Upgrades Manually
If you need to apply the upgrade manually for any reason:
- Obtain the upgrade file:
- Log in to app.kidkare.com.
- From the menu to the left, click Downloads.
- Click the HX Manual Update Patch link under HX Software Downloads.
- When prompted to open or save, click Open.
- Run the upgrade and follow on-screen instructions.
- Confirm that the update was successful:
- When the update has finished, login to Minute Menu HX.
- Click the Help menu and select About Minute Menu Sponsor Solution. A dialog box opens.
- Check the Application Version and the Database version. They should match. If they do, the update was successful. If they do not, email us at email@example.com so that we can diagnose the situation.
If you have any problems or questions about this or any other issue with Minute Menu HX, please don't hesitate to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.